Thursday, March 15, 2012

Poppies


The desert is not known for its lushness or flora. For a very brief time a small part of El Paso is covered in beautiful yellow poppies.


  Last season there were none
 due to a out of character for the area freeze.This year made up for it! My husband,children and I took an outing to see the little beauty's this last weekend.    


I loved watching the kids run and play and have a little adventure. They were Native Americans, they were in Oz on the yellow brick road,they were Lightning Mcqueen and Mater on the dusty dirt track!  




                                                                           
 My husband even wielded the camera...the image with me in it, obviously, and the one with the very blue sky  I believe are his.




 They were respectful of nature as I have taught them to be...no trampling the plants or grabbing clumps of flowers. Even think I heard my oldest son say remember to leave this place the same or better than we found it...very proud.
 We even managed to find a little lizard friend on the trail.He stayed just long enough to pose and then ran off!

Here are a few links for you:
Want to learn more about the beautiful California poppies(I can't find any information regarding mexican gold poppies as they are sometimes referred to as)? Take a look at this page,it is full of great gardening information
http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide/eschscholzia-californica-california-poppy.aspx
Here is a link to the area we visited
http://www.elpasotexas.gov/arch_museum/education.asp
Lastly there is annual poppy festival.If you are in El Paso take the time to go, here is a link to a  story in th El Paso Times about this years festivity!
http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_19849221


4 comments:

  1. Heather how long have you wanted to be a photographer for??? Your photos are amazing as if you have been doing this for a long time. Cant wait to see more:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, thank you. I can't put my finger on it per say...so I'm about to ramble.I remember always loving pictures and flipping thew albums. When I was 15 or so I went with my grandparents and great grandma(nanny to us kids) to Victoria, British Columbia Canada(I'm sure I have that written out wrong) and I went thew little disposable after little disposable from 15 to like 22 enjoyed it but I think after my oldest son was born and we moved to Georgia the photog bug bit and I haven't been able to put the camera down since! In this last few years I have really turned from taking nice photos to wanted to know how and why and be able to make it more than my hobby but my profession! I feel I have so much to learn but hopefully one day someone will have a huge canvas of one of my images in there home...that is my dream(and that person can't be my mother since she loves everything I do)

      Delete
  2. This is a fun post. I didn't know it was the freeze that prevented their bloom last year! I missed he cold this year, but I'm enjoying seeing the poppies! This was a fun hike to follow. The kids really enjoy nature. Beautiful shots, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the answer I got from the museum people! It was defiantly a nice little hike for us where both the little guys could keep up. I'm very glad they enjoy(for the most part) the outdoors.

      Delete