Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Style

I feel very torn as far as my style goes.





 The sepia image is under my old brand. I love adorable children portraits captured in a shabby chic heartfelt way. I love capturing moment in a family's life that are timeless. To me  this screams TEXAS! It my opinion it captures these military children's short time in this state. It is the type of image I can see in daddy's wallet or on granny's wall.






This image is under my new brand and is of a local model.I am drawn to high fashion and glam.It is edgy and bright,sharp lines and beauty.  There is something alluring for me of creating images that make a grown woman say. "WOW look at Me!" Particularly when as a model she has likely had her likeness captured hundreds of times! The brick and teal feel southwest but the don't have to. This could be Denver, as easily as it could be Philly,or El Paso. I see this image in her portfolio, I see it advertising those jeans, I see it as something she looks at ever so often and says to herself "I look great!"





So the question is where do I go from here? Do I divide my brand and go one way or another or do I do my best to stay true to my duality?



 I grew up in a place like this.Its not Detroit but it is city.It has an urban element.It had  crime,and culture,grit and glam. It  only has a handful of tall buildings but it goes on and on land wise.This is just a sliver of it. I loved the music scene and remember as a teen hoping on the city bus and heading to the mall.I enjoyed it for what it was.


I kind of came into my own in a place like this.That is all of downtown.Those maybe 1/2 dozen buildings.A grocery store,a hair dresser,a bar,a bank,and because its CO a dispensary that is it.What more do you need?! I had a horse,a cow I bottle fed and a handful of chickens. I stil had to ride a bus but this time it was out of town to go to school since the town was to small to support a High School. I loved the wide open space and the simplicity.


I don't consider myself a street wise urbanite but don't consider myself a country cowgirl either. I'm not a socialite snob but not a backwoods bumpkin' either.I'm just not sure where I fall. Can I ware couture with cowboy boots? Listen to Aerosmith while baking apple pie? Leather,Lace,and Louis Vuitton? Is it okay to be a dash of POP with a little bit Country AND a little bit  Rock and Roll?

4 comments:

  1. Heather I can totally relate to you, I'm actually from an urban city right out side of detroite, I have seen some crazy stuff. On the other hand we found ourselves in small town Florence Colorado where I spent some of the best years of my life. Now I'm living in a small town between Dallas and ft worth. Am I country or am I city? I think I'm a bit of both, maybe you are too, maybe we take a little bit of each expirence and
    mold us into who we are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad I have to quote Ms. H. Montana(she is so 2010!!!) but "best of both wolds" I guess!

      Delete
  2. Your best writing yet, Heather!

    I don't think you have to settle on your style--I think you have to commit to you craft (done) and never be happy with good enough. There's always going to be living conditions and life experiences and learning that'll affect our craft. Be open to it. You can be you on more than one spectrum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.Writing gives me such anxiety,I'd rather speak in front of 100 then write for 1! Only one way to get better and over the fear right! You continuing support means more than you know!

      Delete